• Click HERE to check out your local LGBTQA friendly health clinic and the free services they can provide including testing, contraception and immunizations. In addition, the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics in Iowa City and Coralville offer a variety of services for the LGBT community that you can learn more about by clicking HERE.
• Request an appointment and check out the resources that the University of Iowa LGBTQ Clinic has to offer.
• Queer-friendly Mental Health Professionals
• LGBTQ+ Substance Use Disorders and Addiction: Causes, Resources & Treatment
• For free online emotional support 7 days a week from 9am – 2am visit Iowa Crisis Chat.
• Gender Spectrum is working to create gender sensitivity and inclusive environments for children & teens.
• Local welcoming religious homes
• Local resource to Hair Care for the Transgender Individual
• LGBTQIA+ safe and friendly travel resources including cruises, resorts, camping and B&Bs!
PFLAG Cedar Rapids is proud to announce the Lorinda Ampey PFLAG Scholarship to outstanding Iowa high school seniors or non-traditional students who advocate and educate their schools, communities, themselves and/or their families about human rights. Academic persistence, extracurricular activities, specifically active in their school’s GSA and community involvement also factor into the awards. The scholarships are $100.00 minimum each. The number of awards varies each year based on the number and quality of applicants and the funds available.
Applicants must be Iowa residents and plan to pursue post-secondary education. There is no restriction on the type or location of the institution where post-secondary education is obtained. Scholarships are awarded without regard to sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, transgender status, race, religion, marital status or employment status of the prospective recipient.
The student must have a faculty member or other adult write a recommendation for them putting their name forward. If you are a non-traditional student this scholarship may be exactly what you are looking for to make ends meet. There is no deadline for submission. Funds may not be available based on how many students apply. Student names may be submitted to PFLAG Cedar Rapids at email@example.com.
Download the application HERE.
Read a testimony HERE from an applicant after receiving the scholarship and what it did for them.
• CRPrideFest: A week long celebration filled with family friendly events that will be held July 1 – July 8, 2018. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
• Frameline Youth In Motion: Get free LGBTQ films for your GSA! Youth In Motion offers student activists and teachers LGBTQ themed films and interactive tools to help educate and build student leadership and activist skills, completely free of charge! This collection includes short films representing a range of LGBT youth experiences from authentic self-expression to classmate crushes to films that delve into the dangers of bullying. Like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter! Visit their website to register.
• The Trevor Project: Founded in 1998 by the creators of the Academy Award®-winning short film TREVOR, The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people ages 13-24.
• LGBTQIA+ individuals are represented in all socio-economic, ethnic, class, religious and political sectors of the world. They also are represented among the aged and our sisters and brothers who struggle with disability. This page gives many helpful tools on dealing with disability and LGBTQIA+ identities. Click HERE for more information.